Professional Development Coordinator
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for a Professional Development Coordinator to join the firm’s Professional Development team in our Toronto office.
The Professional Development Coordinator will work closely with PD team members to provide administrative event-management and logistics support to ensure excellent learning experience and data management for all PD programs, including large onboarding programs, repeat curricula, retreats and new program offerings.
- Post-secondary education
- Minimum of 1 year of work experience preferably in a high-volume, detail-oriented administrative or coordination role
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted.
- Certification or courses towards event/meeting planning, project management and adult education would be an asset
- Team-player who can manage the peak times and proactively assist team during down times
- Self-starter who is proactive, takes initiative and works independently with some supervision, but knows when to ask for help
- Excellent customer-service attitude; ability to solve job-level problems and build relationships
- Positive, professional disposition and flexibility to handle regular interruptions and unexpected changes to workflow very quickly
- Continuous improvement orientation –seeks constructive feedback and looks for opportunities to increase skills, efficiency and effectiveness; change-resilient
- solid proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and solid technical savvy to quickly learn new educational software applications and tools, as needed
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Supports the logistics requirements of multiple PD programs by proactively initiating, monitoring and persistently following up: complex schedules, drafting communications based on relevant docs/checklists/precedents; liaising with speakers, catering and set up requirements, marketing, various legal program accreditation requirements, registration process, updating materials (formatting); room set up/tear down (materials, ensuring room set is set up correctly); program hosting support, follow-up procedures.
- Maintains highly efficient personal management processes including: calendar and reminder systems to schedule tasks for hundreds of programs; task list and tracking to monitor status and issues; ability to anticipate workflow issues and prioritize workload with assistance from the director; flag, resolve and/or escalate unusual issues, as required; contribute to continuous improvement projects
- PD team admin support such as: Monitors PD inbox mailbox, PD calendar, PD programs OslerNet page; internal dept filing and highly accurate Upcoming Programs list, maintains CLE tracking list and PLI roster
- Develops good working relationships with key roles/departments to work efficiently, improve and quickly trouble-shoot issues (includes local office learning coordinators, Hospitality, A/V support, Legal Talent and Firm members who work as presenters)
- Researches suitable venues for external events such as team building activities, dinners and lunches
- Provides some administrative support to Chief Legal Talent Officer and Director, Learning Initiative, such as: booking flights and hotels, submitted expense claims etc.
- Supports and trains other Professional Development staff as necessary
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date to:
Closing date: Wednesday, September 25, 2019
No agencies or phone calls please.