- Reporting to: Managing Partner
- The Role:
- The OM manages all of the day-to-day business operations of the firm’s office(s) and works with the Managing Partner to set firm strategy and approve policies. Responsibilities of the OM include the efficient and effective functioning of the office, continuous collaboration with the lawyers to ensure excellent client support services, adherence to the Firm's policies and procedures and the regular oversight of Accounting, Technology, Human Resources, Marketing, Library, Legal Assistant and Professional Services, Office Services, and Facilities. Key activities include goal setting, planning and direction for all administrative operations, budgeting for operations and capital spending and staff direction and performance management.
- Specific responsibilities:
- Financial Management: Planning, budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting, variance analysis, and profitability analysis. Oversight of the various accounting activities including general ledger accounting, billing and collections, cash flow control, trust accounting, payroll and other financial management functions.
- Human Resource Management: Staff resource requirement planning, recruiting,training and development, performance evaluation, salary administration, employee relations and counseling, disciplining, discharging, benefits administration, personnel data systems, position design and other human resource management functions for the legal, paralegal and support staff.
- IT and Systems Management: With the external IT consultants, ensure the continuous operations of all networks and systems in a secure environment and to an appropriate level of performance.Participate in setting the firm’s technology strategy and planning for developments such as document production applications, document and records management systems (including the retention/destruction and closing of client files), office automation, mobile technologies, telecommunications and practice support systems.
- Facilities Management: Oversight of all office premises and services including purchasing, printing and scanning, records storage, reception and client services, mail, messenger, building systems and services and office security.Lead in developing a long term rental space plan.Lead in negotiating/renegotiation of leased premises.
As a member of the firm’s management team, the OM provides leadership and/or contributes significantly to the following:
- Operations/Management: Strategic and tactical planning, business development, risk management, quality control, organizational development, firm planning processes and other general management functions.
- Practice Management: Legal assistant development and supervision, work product quality control, professional standards and best practices and substantive practice systems.
- Marketing: Assists with the planning of client development, marketing materials (print and web based) and enhancing the firm’s visibility and image in the desired markets.
- Professional Services: Assists in the coordination and development of the firm’s Continuing Legal Education programming and with meeting LSO and LawPro reporting requirements.
- Candidate profile
Has knowledge of legal or other professional service organizations, and has experience managing business operations such as human resources, technology, facilities, finance and marketing.
- Skills and Abilities:
Can identify and analyze complex issues and problems in management areas, and recommend and implement solutions. Can manage office functions economically and efficiently, organize work, establish priorities and maintain good interpersonal relations and communications with lawyers and support staff. Displays excellent supervisory and leadership skills. Demonstrates willingness and ability to delegate.
Graduation from a recognized college or university with major course work in business administration or management, finance, human resources, technology or marketing, or comparable work experience.
- Salary and benefits: Salary commensurate with level of experience, 4 weeks of annual vacation, group benefit coverage, 407 allowance if required for office commute.
Please forward your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.