Business Development Specialist
PRACTICE AREAS OF: Anti-trust Competition and Marketing, Banking & Finance, and Financial Institutions
Fasken Martineau’s Business Development team has an immediate opening for an experienced professional to work out of either our Toronto or Montréal office. This position provides direct support to Fasken’s Anti-trust Competition and Marketing, Banking & Finance, Financial Institutions groups in the creation and execution of a variety of business development initiatives and has primary responsibility for a number of projects and other business development efforts.
As the Business Development Specialist, the successful candidate will enjoy a highly visible position providing international marketing and business development assistance to assigned Practice and Industry Groups, working with lawyers across our eight offices.
The Business Development Specialist will work closely with other Firm-wide business development professionals, as well as with regional marketing, digital marketing and communications teams.
- Work with the practice areas to determine effective, detailed approaches to pursuing new business while facilitating implementation and driving follow up and ROI.
- Assist in identifying and evaluating new business opportunities and targets, facilitating cross selling initiatives, and participating on client-specific target teams.
- Work with Senior Manager, BD on ensuring these specialty areas are included as a part of the Firm’s overall Corporate strategy and collaboration.
- Budget responsibility and accountability of Industry and Practice Group objectives, activities and projects.
- Develop and implement overall Marketing and Business Development plan that supports the Group’s and the Firm’s objectives.
- Maintain various department/practice group/industry experience lists, deal lists and case studies.
- Collaborate with the Knowledge Services, Finance, and Competitive Intelligence teams to review in-depth research and analysis of clients, prospects and competitors to determine a strategy for outreach.
- Coordinate and develop customized responses to pitches and RFPs/RFIs and other marketing collateral for new business opportunities and client meetings; work with the Pricing & Innovation teams in developing alternative fee arrangement proposals and other value adds.
- Work with the firm’s Communications team to create targeted, strategic submissions for practice-related and attorney rankings, surveys and awards, including Chambers, Legal 500 and other industry-specific/geographic awards programs.
- Assist the Director, Business Development in various innovation and client service projects, including building new processes and tools to more efficiently manage the industry/marketplace model/framework.
- Ensuring regular communication with industry and practice groups and administrative staff by organizing meetings, tracking action items, and following up on them
- Support thought leadership campaigns, including project management and mining of campaign data for business development opportunities.
- Actively participating in Business Development team meetings including preparing agendas and chairing meetings.
- Provide back-up as needed to fellow members of the Business Development team
Required Knowledge and Experience:
The successful candidate will have:
- 4+ years of experience in marketing or professional services business development. Strong preference for candidates with legal or other large professional services-related matrix environment.
- Degree in Business / Marketing / Communications or a relevant field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills necessary, along with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships and take direction and criticism in a positive manner.
- Highly effective project management, prioritization, multi-tasking, and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Energetic, self-motivated, results oriented, and a well-honed client service disposition.
- Ability to travel 2-3 times a year across our Canadian offices.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs including Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Experience with InterAction or other CRM tools a plus.
This role reports to the Senior Manager, Business Development.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference check will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to email@example.com. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.