Legal Assistant Litigation
Fasken is a leading international business law and litigation firm. Our firm’s 700 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London, Johannesburg and Beijing. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals.
We are a high-achieving, professional, entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and friendly place to work. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and offer a welcoming environment for all people. While we are here to service our clients and are a deadline-driven industry, we look to be innovative, and there are opportunities to participate in initiatives which make a difference in our firm and community.
Achieve excellence doing work that’s challenging and rewarding, with people you’ll like working with, in an environment that’s welcoming, supportive, entrepreneurial and innovative, where you’re a valued contributor, not just an employee. For additional information about the firm or this position, please visit our website at www.fasken.com.
LEGAL ASSISTANT - LITIGATION
The successful candidate will independently manage the daily activities of 3 lawyers in their litigation practices. The candidate will have a strong work ethic, be collaborative, professional, adaptable, positive and interested in their work.
Hours of work are from 9 am to 5 pm. Occasional pre-authorized overtime may be required to meet client needs.
At Fasken, success means:
- A strong client service approach - ready, willing, and able.
- Impeccable proofreading and grammar skills.
- Being organized, with high attention to detail and accuracy when completing tasks.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to be resourceful and work with minimal instruction or supervision.
- Being able to work within tight timelines to meet deadlines, reassessing priorities as needed.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) when dealing with lawyers, clients, staff and third parties.
- Being proactive and taking initiative in anticipation of next steps.
- Handling all administrative duties such as email and calendar management, coordinating meetings, making travel arrangements, etc.
- Preparing and maintaining a bring-forward system, as well as providing appropriate reminders.
- Under legal professional supervision, preparing legal documents and correspondence according to precedents and/or instructions (drafting letters, revising draft documents, and preparing document comparisons).
- Occasional time docket entry.
- Liaising with Billing Coordinators for the monthly production of accounts.
- Ensuring all physical and electronic filing is organized and up to date on a regular basis.
- Occasional transcribing digital dictation.
- Delegating tasks to, and coordinating with, other administrative departments.
- Providing backup coverage in the absence of other assistants.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Completion of a post-secondary Legal Assistant or Law Clerk course.
- A minimum of 3+ years’ experience in civil and commercial litigation (large firm experience preferred).
- Knowledge and/or working experience with construction lien matters is an asset.
- In-depth understanding of business and legal terminology.
- Strong knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Solid computer and typing skills; proficiency in MS Office 2010, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Pro, digital dictation, Worksite DMS, etc.
- Experience working with Elite 3E, Worksite DMS, ACL, etc.
This role has a dual reporting relationship with the lawyers in the share and the Supervisor, Legal Assistant Services.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference check will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to email@example.com. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.