Fasken is a leading international business law and litigation firm. Our firm’s 700 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London, Johannesburg and Beijing. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals.
We are a high-achieving, professional, entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and friendly place to work. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and offer a welcoming environment for all people. While we are here to service our clients and are a deadline-driven industry, we look to be innovative, and there are opportunities to participate in initiatives which make a difference in our firm and community.
Achieve excellence doing work that’s challenging and rewarding, with people you’ll like working with, in an environment that’s welcoming, supportive, entrepreneurial and innovative, where you’re a valued contributor, not just an employee. For additional information about the firm or this position, please visit our website at www.fasken.com.
The Supervisor, Collections is responsible for supervising, providing guidance and instruction to the other collection coordinators, as well as support to the Sr. Manager, Billing and Collections in the area of reporting, statistics and technical assistance. In addition, the Supervisor will have their own portfolio of accounts to collect.
Hours of work are from 9 am to 5 pm. Occasional overtime may be required to meet client needs.
At Fasken, success means:
- Having a strong client service approach - ready, willing, and able
- Leveraging strong research, investigative and problem-solving skills with the ability to exercise judgement to resolve related issues
- Demonstrating accuracy in work with high attention to detail
- Exhibiting superior customer service skills when dealing with internal and external clients; ability to remain professional, confident, use common sense and be tactful
- Possessing effective interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) when dealing with lawyers, clients, staff and third parties
- Exhibiting proficient organizational skills to prioritize work and consistently meet deadlines within a fast-paced work environment
- Being a self-starter with the ability to work in a collaborative team-based environment
- Being aware of ethical walls and able to maintain confidentiality.
Supervision of assigned Collections Coordinators, duties include:
- Performance Management/Coaching: Manages and addresses staff performance issues. Acts as mediator when issues arise between Collection team members, or with firm members. Completes performance management forms for team members and holds performance meetings. Provides guidance to Collection teams members to resolve issues.
- Training: Provides initial and on-going training as required to Collection team members
- Recruitment: Involved in the recruitment process, including and selecting candidates
- Administration: Schedules vacation and absences ensuring appropriate coverage.
Collection Coordinator responsibilities include:
- Professional/timely collection of any outstanding accounts by phone, fax, e-mails, etc.
- Forward necessary data to lawyers/law clerks re: taxation/write-off of accounts
- Advise management/lawyers of any potential risk with regard to collections
- Update/reconcile accounts
- Advise management/lawyers on files to be sent for litigation
- Provide a regular update to management/lawyers of any significant change with client payment patterns
- Liaise with third party collection agencies as required
- Assist with special projects and/or perform related administrative, clerical and other duties as assigned. Special projects will be assigned by the Sr. Manager, Billing and Collections.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- A college diploma in Business preferably specializing in Accounting with a minimum of 5 years’ related experience in a supervisory capacity
- Working knowledge of acceptable credit control/collections methods, procedures and practices (business to business) within a professional services environment
- General knowledge of basic accounting principals
- Proficiency with computer software programs including MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), and working knowledge of Elite 3E preferred.
This role reports to the Sr. Manager, Billing and Collections.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference check will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.