Legal Assistant, Intellectual Property ( 15-18 Month Contract)
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham, Vaughan and Montréal. Our consistent ability to provide practical, creative and cost-effective advice, combined with an unyielding service commitment to our clients and a strong dedication to our lawyers, staff and the communities in which we practice, gives us a unique position in the Canadian legal industry.
Miller Thomson LLP is currently seeking a confident and organized self-starter to fill the position of Legal Assistant, Intellectual Property for the Toronto office. This is a 15-18 month contract position with the potential for full-time hire upon completion.
In this role, you will be tasked to (but will not be limited to):
- Prepare documentation relating to U.S., Canadian and International patent filings;
- Prepare documentation relating to U.S., Canadian and International trademark filings;
- Prepare communications for reporting to clients;
- Create, update and monitor PATTSY (IP Software) records for IP matter due dates, and provide assistance relating to such due dates;
- Administrative duties such as: managing email/calendar accounts, processing/administering client accounts, and coordinating meetings, appointments, travel arrangements, etc.;
- Assist with various information requests pertaining to the department;
- Other intellectual property and business related duties as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- Completion of a Legal Assistant or related certificate/diploma from a Community College or equivalent;
- 2 years’ minimum experience as an Intellectual Property Legal Assistant preferred or related experience;
- Working knowledge of the facets of Trademark and Patent processes;
- Excellent communication skills and team oriented approach;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe PDF, and IP Software (an asset);
- Ability to work under pressure with competing deadlines;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
Please forward your resume to: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodations on request throughout the recruitment, selection and assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please inform our Talent Management department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.