Manager, Corporate Services
Fasken is a leading international business law and litigation firm. Our firm’s 700 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London, Johannesburg and Beijing. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals.
We are a high-achieving, professional, entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and friendly place to work. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and offer a welcoming environment for all people. While we are here to service our clients and are a deadline-driven industry, we look to be innovative, and there are opportunities to participate in initiatives which make a difference in our firm and community.
Achieve excellence doing work that’s challenging and rewarding, with people you’ll like working with, in an environment that’s welcoming, supportive, entrepreneurial and innovative, where you’re a valued contributor, not just an employee. For additional information about the firm or this position, please visit our website at www.fasken.com.
MANAGER, CORPORATE SERVICES
We are looking for a Manager, Corporate Services to join our Corporate Services Law Clerk team in our Toronto office. This role is a working corporate law clerk manager, responsible for senior level law clerk work as well as managing Corporate Services operations, including providing leadership to intermediate and senior level corporate law clerks and searchers. The incumbent ensures law clerks and searchers are fully utilized, workload is evenly distributed, client deadlines, filings and renewals are monitored and handled in a timely manner and high quality, cost-effective and efficient professional services are provided to the firm’s lawyers and their clients.
At Fasken, success means:
- Being a strong leader and team player with the ability to lead and influence a large team
- Exhibiting effective business communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in dealing with individuals at all levels within the Firm
- Demonstrating the ability to project manage, coordinate the workloads of several individuals, and efficiently handle competing and/or shifting priorities to meet deadlines
- Having an acute focus on detail and accuracy as well as a highly developed customer service bias, including responsiveness and a solutions orientation
- Being able to maintain confidentiality of strategic information and to protect sensitive information
- Understanding that this is a critical service function and can require a longer day in order to get the job done
- Enjoying working in a fast-paced, deadline-drive environment, and capable of working under pressure in order to meet deadlines
- Displaying strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build harmonious working relationships with other departments and immediate co-workers
- Being a highly skilled presenter with strong meeting management skills.
- Law Clerk and Searcher Management: Assists in recruiting and participates in new hire orientations; provides guidance, motivation and direction; solicits regular feedback regarding performance; prepares performance reviews (probationary and annual), and addresses performance issues as they come up; works with Director, Paraprofessionals (Ontario) in cases where disciplinary action is required; leads regular meetings with team; and approves overtime and vacation.
- Workload Allocation: Oversees workload among law clerks and searchers. Proactively identifies upcoming client events (e.g., closings) where law clerk support may be required and coordinates the allocation of resources based on skill and availability. Follows up with lawyers and takes corrective action as required. Clarifies law clerk and searcher time on files to billing lawyers and recommends premiums and write-offs. Works closely with a Team Lead who oversees the junior law clerk team. Also works with the Supervisors, Legal Secretarial Services to redirect any law clerk work from assistants to clerks. Works with law clerks, searchers and lawyers to transition law clerk tasks in situations where lawyers or law clerks leave the firm.
- Miscellaneous: Assesses department practices and processes to improve efficiencies and look for continuous improvement. Works closely with Supervisors, Legal Secretarial Services to ensure appropriate secretarial support is provided and to address any secretarial concerns regarding law clerks. All other projects, duties and responsibilities as requested.
Senior Corporate Law Clerk responsibilities
- Drafts corporate documents including: agreements, resolutions, complex share provisions, documents for various types of transactions including corporate and tax reorganizations, documents relating to incorporation and organization, amalgamations, complex amendments, continuances and dissolutions
- Assists lawyers on complex transactions
- Attends meetings with clients and lawyers to review documents and provide technical assistance
- Conducts due diligence and minute book reviews and preparing reports outlining issues and deficiencies
- Sets up and runs electronic data rooms
- Drafts closing agendas
- Assists with closings
- Assists with collection and drafting of checklists and precedents.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Law clerk diploma or equivalent
- A member in good standing with the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario
- 10+ years of law clerk experience
- Previous supervisory or managerial experience is required
- Understanding of law firm operations
- Proficiency with MS Office, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook
- Knowledge of corporate databases such as CorpLink and GlobalAct
- Extensive knowledge of the Business Corporations Act (Ontario) and the Canada Business Corporations Act.
This role reports to the Director, Paraprofessionals (Ontario).
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference check will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to email@example.com. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.