Legal Assistant (Trademarks, Regulatory, Advertising & Marketing)
Bereskin & Parr is one of Canada's largest and most respected intellectual property (“IP”) law firms. We have over 230 employees, including more than 70 lawyers, patent and trademark agents, with four offices located in major economic or technology centres. We are an award-winning firm with a global reputation as one of the largest, and most experienced in patent and trademark law. We provide exceptional client service and are driven by our commitment to professional excellence. At B&P we are proud of our collaborative and inclusive work environment.
We are currently looking for a motivated Legal Assistant to join the B&P team in our Toronto office. This position will be supporting two Professionals whose practices focus on trademark prosecution and enforcement, as well as regulatory, advertising and marketing law.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Attending to online filing and prosecution of trademark applications with minimal supervision as required
- Completing online forms for trademark enforcement on websites, including Facebook, Twitter, Google and Instagram
- Attending to online and paper based filing of copyright applications, and reporting to client
- Completing Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) forms for domain name disputes
- Drafting and preparing correspondence for professional approval/signature using precedents
- Proof reading and editing drafts
- Preparing power point presentations
- Monitor and follow up with appropriate parties on due dates and bring to the attention of the responsible party.
- Drafting assignments, filing changes in title/name documents as well as reviewing confirmations for accuracy prior to reporting;
- Drafting correspondence related to the opposition process, including, but not limited to, statements of opposition
- Handling the opening and closing of client files
- Ordering trademark searches and file histories
- Ordering investigations, conducting WHOIS searches and other online investigations
- Inserting professionals’ comments/edits to client marketing and advertising materials using Adobe Acrobat or similar program
- Monitoring and responding to emails received and sorting and prioritizing new mail
- Reviewing client instructions over the phone or by email and taking appropriate action with the direction of the professional
- Handle all administrative tasks for the practice such as: coordinating meeting, e-file management, opening and closing client files; billing; and maintenance of client contact information.
- Other duties as assigned by professionals.
What you’ll bring to B&P:
- Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate or Law Clerk Degree
- Minimum five years’ relevant working experience in the intellectual property area, with at least three year’s relevant work experience in the trademark area specifically, is required
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite of products (WORD, Excel and Outlook).
- Excellent attention to detail, time management and prioritization skills.
- Strong team player that demonstrates excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and an ability to work independently.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to email their resumes to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Legal Assistant" in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bereskin & Parr LLP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities. Should candidates wish to receive the above job posting in an alternative format, please contact Liam Bragg, Human Resources Generalist by email (email@example.com) or by phone 416-957-1622.