Legal Practice Assistant
Torys is a highly respected international business law firm with offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary, Montréal and Halifax. We work together to offer seamless cross-border services to our clients all over the world.
As a Torys employee, you will enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. Our positions are best suited to individuals who take pride and ownership in their work and demonstrate exceptional client service in everything they do. At Torys, we take pride in our ability to attract and retain individuals who excel in their respective fields. We do this by providing stimulating work and learning and development opportunities, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Supporting a team of principals, the Legal Practice Assistant is responsible for managing the administrative side of their practices.
- Act as key contact for all matters relating to:
- coordinating travel arrangements, preparing itineraries and travel expense reports;
- completing LSUC renewal applications, and tracking CPD credits;
- updating bios, internal and external conferences, and liaising with Boards, etc.
- Prepare client correspondence in accordance with the requirements set by the principal/practice group, as required.
- Update contact names and addresses in Interaction and any other client databases.
- Coordinate client meetings, schedule boardrooms and arrange for catering or audio-visual equipment.
- Update calendars for assigned principals, which includes meetings, appointments, due dates and client-related activities (i.e., set up/maintain tickler system to ensure principals engage with clients on a regular basis).
- Handle and review all incoming mail, email, fax communications; and arrange for specialized mail/courier/messenger services as required.
- Receive, handle, screen and/or direct incoming calls as directed by principals; respond to routine inquiries and requests from clients; and take messages as required.
- Respond promptly to requests, and work collaboratively with other departments and members of the Firm.
- Provide backup support when other Legal Practice Assistants are absent, are at capacity and/or managing multiple/difficult deadlines.
- Coordinate activities with other departments and staff as required (e.g., Facilities, Marketing, etc.).
- Liaise and work closely with Legal Document Specialists and Support Assistants, as appropriate, to ensure tasks are completed within a timely manner.
- Participate in projects and initiatives as assigned.
- Partner with principals to ensure docket time is entered by set deadlines and follow up with principals as required.
- Monitor and review outstanding WIP (Work In Progress) to ensure timely billing.
- Prepare, print and review prebills (e.g., monthly, quarterly or on request) using 3E billing workflow and functionality, and revise according to client billing guidelines and Firm standards and policies. Ensure invoices are sent to clients in a timely manner.
- Prepare cheque requisitions as required to initiate payment of third party invoices and filing fees
- Prepare various reports (e.g., spreadsheets) related to time/billing information for principals and/or clients as required
- Proactively monitor specific clients and/or matters where Alternate Fee Arrangements are in place. Ensure special rates and discounts are applied to invoices. Actively monitor budget thresholds and update billing principals on status.
- Prepare engagement letters and work with the Conflicts and Records team to coordinate new file openings, matter intake, conflict search and audit requests.
- Maintain and organize files to ensure they are easily retrievable by principals, file/scan all paper or electronic correspondence/records into the firms document management system. Work with Support Assistants as required to store client files as appropriate within firm guidelines.
- Coordinate with various departments to ensure all necessary correspondence/documents are compiled for Pitches and Request for Proposals (i.e., principal bios, billing rates, etc.).
- Assist principals with matter/project management support as required (e.g., set up and prepare reports, proactively monitor and track project items and related budget information).
ATTRIBUTES & EXPERIENCE
- Legal Assistant diploma or post-secondary degree/diploma in Office Administration is required.
- Minimum 5+ years’ previous related experience, preferably within a legal professional services firm.
- Must have strong knowledge of legal terms, documents and procedures.
- Proficient in MS Office which includes a strong working knowledge of Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Strong client service orientation combined with the ability to manage multiple client needs at the same time.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail, efficient and organized. Proactive and takes initiative.
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
HOW TO APPLY
Please address your resume and cover letter, stating your salary expectations to Firm Admin Recruiting (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We thank all applicants for their interest in Torys LLP; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Jenny Tavares (email@example.com), Senior Manager, Human Resources.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.