Goodmans LLP is internationally recognized as one of Canada’s leading and most innovative law firms, offering market leading expertise in M&A, corporate, securities and finance, private equity, real estate, tax, restructuring, litigation and other business-related specialties. We are a community of committed, talented, hardworking professionals who are motivated by exceeding our clients’ expectations, with a law firm culture that is second to none.
We are currently seeking a hands on Financial Accountant, reporting to the Senior Financial Accountant. As a member of the firm’s Finance Department, you will collaborate with Finance colleagues and other firm members to support the firm’s business and accounting operations. You will be responsible for gathering, maintaining and presenting financial information for management in accordance with best practices, and you will be an integral part of a system upgrade with a go-live date of July 2022.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Completing month end close activities and management reporting for management companies, including preparation of journal entries, expense tracking, and variance analyses on key expense and general ledger accounts;
- Preparing and/or reviewing monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts (i.e. bank accounts, fixed assets subledger including reviewing new asset purchases, prepayments, accrued liabilities, and HST);
- Actively participating in the in the implementation of Goodman’s new practice management system. Performing testing, providing feedback, and is involved in the design and documentation of new processes for accounting.
- Preparing daily reconciliation of trust bank accounts, ensuring all transactions have been posted and unreconciled differences researched and cleared; in a timely manner;
- Monitoring and analyzing actual expenses, [excludes payroll] including preparing analysis of variances with input from support department leadership;
- Preparing and circulating month end results to Directors, addressing queries, providing commentary and support for monthly financial result meetings;
- Participating in monthly budget to actual variance discussions;
- Preparing detailed analyses, supporting calculations, and allocations for annual forecasting and budgeting activities;
- Building relationships with firm members and fostering solid working relationships ensuring collaboration, teamwork and effective information sharing;
- Coordinating with firm members and bank representatives to resolve banking related issues in a timely manner;
- Assisting with financial audit and the preparation of year end working papers;
- Leading in the development, testing, and implementation of new processes and applications;
- Acting as a backup for other roles within the finance team as needed; and
- Completing special projects as requested, and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate possesses:
- A university degree or equivalency in business or accounting.
- A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or is actively pursuing.
- A minimum of 3-5 years’ of experience in a financial or accounting role.
- Experience in a professional services firm environment.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel and other Office applications including Word, Adobe, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in role-specific software, including basic knowledge of SQL, crystal reports, Sage fixed assets and financial system software.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with attention to detail.
- A high level of accuracy, commitment and accountability.
- The ability to multi-task and prioritize work to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written & verbal communication skills.
- Excellent client service skills.
Applicants can send their resume directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Goodmans LLP is committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects different abilities, backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, identities and perspectives. Goodmans LLP invites applications from all qualified candidates. For applicants with disabilities requiring accommodation at any point in the recruitment process, please contact HR@goodmans.ca.
Please note that in light of Goodmans LLP/Goodlaw Services Limited Partnership’s COVID-19 vaccination policy, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment from the firm will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated with all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada. Individual requests for accommodation will be considered on the basis of medical grounds and/or because of creed/religion.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.