Legal Assistant- IP (Patent and Trademark)
Fasken is a leading international business law and litigation firm. Our firm’s 700 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London, Johannesburg and Beijing. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals.
We are a high-achieving, professional, entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and friendly place to work. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and offer a welcoming environment for all people. While we are here to service our clients and are a deadline-driven industry, we look to be innovative, and there are opportunities to participate in initiatives which make a difference in our firm and community.
Achieve excellence doing work that’s challenging and rewarding, with people you’ll like working with, in an environment that’s welcoming, supportive, entrepreneurial and innovative, where you’re a valued contributor, not just an employee. For additional information about the firm or this position, please visit our website at www.fasken.com.
LEGAL ASSISTANT - IP (Patent and Trademark)
We are currently seeking a Legal Assistant to join our Intellectual Property group to support the department in an overflow capacity. The successful candidate will have a strong work ethic, be collaborative, professional, adaptable and positive and interested in their work.
Hours of work are from 9 am to 5 pm. Occasional pre-authorized overtime may be required to meet client needs.
At Fasken, success means:
- A strong client service approach - ready, willing, and able
- Impeccable proofreading and grammar skills
- Being organized, with high attention to detail and accuracy when completing tasks
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to be resourceful and work with minimal instruction or supervision
- Being able to work within tight timelines to meet deadlines, reassessing priorities as needed
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) when dealing with lawyers, clients, staff and third parties
- Being proactive and taking initiative in anticipation of next steps.
- Handling all administrative duties such as file openings and ongoing file maintenance, preparing cheque requests and disbursements, coordinating meetings, processing incoming and outgoing mail and preparing expense reports
- Docketing in IP database, data entry, letter creation and reports
- Attending to Due Date list on a daily basis and advising professionals;
- Prepare responses to notices and accurately prepare and file documents with the USPTO, CIPO and WIPO
- Review, process, and file new applications including Canadian, US, PCT and foreign patent and trademark applications
- Review and respond to client correspondence and preparation of formal documents including Declarations, Assignments, Powers of Attorney, etc.
- Review and process formalities including Official Filing Receipts, Notices of Publication, Missing Parts, etc.
- Prepare and file Information Disclosure Statements including determination of fee or certification requirements
- Preparation and filing of trademark office submissions
- Monitoring and responding to deadlines, extensions and other time sensitive matters
- Ordering/performing trademark searches, domain searches and file histories
- Trademark and Patent Reports
- Client Profile updates and new matter creation
- Ensuring professionals’ practices run smoothly by handling routine inquiries and managing routine administrative responsibilities
- Provide back-up assistance to various professionals and/or assistants within the IP team, as required
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Completion of a post-secondary Legal Assistant or Law Clerk course
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in patents and trademarks
- In-depth understanding of business and legal terminology
- Solid computer and typing skills; proficiency in MS Office 2010 - Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Experience working with Elite 3E, Worksite DMS, PATTSY, etc.
This role reports to the Supervisor, Legal Assistant Services.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference check will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.