Junior PPI Law Clerk
Lerners, one of Ontario's leading law firms, is dedicated to providing all of our clients — be they individuals, businesses, institutions or corporations — with exceptional legal counsel. For ninety years, Lerners has provided a full range of legal services throughout Ontario. Lerners LLP maintains an attractive work environment with excellent support services and state-of-the-art technology, in addition to a competitive compensation package.
We are looking for a Law Clerk to join our Plaintiff Personal Injury team. The ideal candidate will have at least 1-5 years of previous experience working within the PPI sector, be driven and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Draft and prepare correspondence to opposing counsel, including first and third party letters, Statements of Claim, Motion Records, Affidavits of Documents, Pre-Trial Memos, Mediation Memos, Certification forms, Trial Briefs, Bills of Costs and Orders as directed
- Schedule mediations, examinations for discovery, pre-trials and trials, motions and prepare and serve appropriate Notices
- Prepare and assist with statements of accounts and assessable disbursements
- Diarize all deadlines and ensure that preparations for trials and arbitrations/mediations are completed in a timely manner
- Initiate and maintain all client contact including meetings, calendar scheduling, and delegation, where required, to other team members
- Management of Plaintiff Personal Injury files (AB and Tort)
- Trial preparation (Request to Admit, Notice of Intention, Summons to Witness, Notice letters to witnesses, prepare witnesses for trial)
- Some paralegal work
- Order motor vehicle accident reports, if required, and all relevant file work up and investigation of liability aspects
- Review, analyze and summarize medical records
- Docket time spent on the file
- Calendar management, ie., set up statements, discoveries, appointments
- Arrange for pick-up of court documents, and follow-up regarding services of court documents
- The successful candidate is professional and a results-oriented team player
- Relevant post-secondary education – Law Clerk Diploma
- Paralegal designation an asset, but not required
- 1-5 years’ experience working within Plaintiff Personal Injury Tort and Accident Benefit law
- Thorough knowledge of legal procedures, Ontario automobile insurance and relevant provisions of the Insurance Act and statutes, including the ability to read and interpret such legislation, Income Replacement Benefits, LAT, SABS and the Rules of Civil Procedure
- Demonstrated proficiency with various computer applications (Microsoft Word, Outlook, Amicus, CaseLogistix)
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and work well under pressure and with a high volume of files
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills
- Strong people skills
- Highly organized so as to maintain files in pristine order and update knowledge management applications
- Ability to work overtime as needed
- Results of work reviewed with supervising lawyer on completion of assignment
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and have superior critical thinking skills
- Is responsible for own work
- Gives technical direction to others
- May perform unit administrative duties
Interested applicants are requested to submit their resume by e-mail to CareersToronto@lerners.ca by 4 p.m. on September 27, 2019. We appreciate the interest of all applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
Lerners LLP is a barrier-free workplace. Additional accommodations are available to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, assessment and selection process. Should you require accommodation at our Toronto office, please contact us by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 416.867.3076.
Lerners LLP is committed to diversity and inclusion in its workplace and encourages participation from all qualified applicants without discrimination.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.