Manager, Business Analytics
Fasken is a leading international business law and litigation firm. Our firm’s 700 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London, Johannesburg and Beijing. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals.
We are a high-achieving, professional, entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and friendly place to work. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and offer a welcoming environment for all people. While we are here to service our clients and are a deadline-driven industry, we look to be innovative, and there are opportunities to participate in initiatives which make a difference in our firm and community.
Achieve excellence doing work that’s challenging and rewarding, with people you’ll like working with, in an environment that’s welcoming, supportive, entrepreneurial and innovative, where you’re a valued contributor, not just an employee. For additional information about the firm or this position, please visit our website at www.fasken.com.
MANAGER, BUSINESS ANALYTICS
We are looking for a Manager, Business Analytics to join our Business Analytics team in our Toronto office. This role will provide analytics support for Senior Management, and other stakeholders such as marketing, business development, innovation, pricing, and other members of the partnership. In addition to overseeing the Business Analytics team, this position also develops new and improved business processes in conjunction with department leaders to promote an environment of continuous improvement.
At Fasken, success means:
- Having strong analytical, technical and problem solving skills
- Exhibiting effective business communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively to cross-functional technical and non-technical teams
- Being confident in clearly articulating complex reporting solutions and sharing knowledge with others in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrating the ability to project manage, and efficiently handle competing and/or shifting priorities
- Having an acute focus on detail and accuracy as well as a highly developed customer service bias, including responsiveness and a solutions orientation
- Being able to maintain confidentiality of strategic information and to protect sensitive information
- Understanding that this is a critical service function and can require a longer day in order to get the job done
- Enjoying working in a fast-paced environment and capable of working under pressure in order to meet deadlines
- Displaying strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build harmonious working relationships with other departments and immediate co-workers
- Being able to exercise judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
- Lead and supervise daily performance of the Business Analysts, including setting priorities and deadlines, providing mentoring and training, and guiding development work
- Ensure the overall management, availability, usability, integrity and security of data used at Fasken
- Provide tools to senior management and other stakeholders, to transform data into metrics that support Management decisions via development of descriptive and predictive solutions
- Management of projects by outlining detailed steps and milestones of a project and allocating resources and deadlines for each step
- Transform analyses into visualizations to enhance data consuming process for the end users
- Partner with the Chief Innovation and Pricing Officers on new firm initiatives, providing data and analytical support
- Integrate data from different internal information systems to perform more robust analysis than what is available in the various data sources
- Assist department leaders to develop new and/or enhanced processes aimed at improving productivity and efficiency
- Provide training to internal stakeholders on areas of expertise (data mining concepts, client, matter enquiry, lawyer dashboard, data warehouse, Fasken reports).
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a business/analytics/finance discipline
- 5+ years’ work experience in a similar role, preferably within a professional services, matrix organization
- 5+ years’ experience in data architecture, data warehouse, data mining and modelling
- 5+ years’ experience in SQL, Python and R
- 3+ years’ experience with a BI solution, SQL Server Reporting Services and Visual Studio are preferred
- Experience in designing and implementing internal controls and processes with respect to data integrity and process improvement
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project)
- Good working knowledge of general accounting principles; CPA designated or working towards designation is an asset.
This role reports to the Director, Business Analytics.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference Bicheck will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.