Legal Assistant, Restructuring (Insolvency)
Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada’s fastest growing national business law firms, with offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham, Vaughan and Montréal. Our consistent ability to provide practical, creative and cost-effective advice, combined with an unyielding service commitment to our clients and a strong dedication to our lawyers, staff and the communities in which we practice, gives us a unique position in the Canadian legal industry.
We are seeking a Legal Assistant to join our Toronto team to provide legal administrative support in the area of Restructuring (Insolvency) Law. The successful candidate will have experience with basic commercial transactions, and knowledge of commercial list procedures.
In this role, your responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Draft and revise legal documents and correspondence;
- Prepare and assist in compiling all court documents including affidavits, motion records, Facta, books of authority, etc.;
Schedule and confirm motions;
- Administrative tasks including file openings/closings, running conflict checks, expense requisitions, e-filing and hard copy filing, etc.;
- Manage billing and accounting processes including docket entry, preparation of client accounts and invoices;
- Maintain and monitor MS Outlook email accounts and calendars;
- Other business related duties, as assigned.
To be successful in this role, you possess:
- Completion of a Legal Assistant Certificate, or Diploma from a Community
College, or equivalent;
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a Litigation Legal Assistant in a fast paced
environment. Experience in Restructuring (Insolvency) is considered an asset;
- Strong knowledge of commercial list procedures considered an asset;
- Familiarity with basic commercial transaction documents considered an asset;
- Meticulous attention to detail with excellent proofreading skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Ability to take the initiative and work independently;
- Flexibility to work with changing priorities
While previous experience in this area would be helpful, candidates with strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and a desire to develop valuable skills as an Restructuring (Insolvency) assistant are welcome to apply.
Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Miller Thomson LLP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Miller Thomson will provide accommodations on request throughout the recruitment, selection and assessment process for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please inform our Human Resources department of the nature of accommodations that you may require, to ensure your equal participation.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applicants we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.