Legal Assistant, Litigation
This position is a Maternity Leave replacement for 4 - 6 months with a possibility of an extension.
A FEW WORDS ABOUT CLYDE & CO
Our Canadian offices are an essential part of Clyde & Co’s global practice, providing a strong regional focus for both local and international clients across a range of complex and contentious matters, including professional liability, casualty, construction and infrastructure, cyber risk, class action defence, insurance defence and coverage, D&O liability and product liability. Our lawyers have vast experience litigating disciplinary proceedings against a broad range of professionals as well as handling fraud, antitrust, anti-corruption and regulatory investigations.
At Clyde & Co, we offer a highly supportive culture in a friendly, welcoming environment, characterized by diversity and inclusion. Our fast-growing international firm is known for its global outlook, comprehensive practice, and genuine commitment to clients as well as for its distinctive approach within an open, fast-paced and rapidly changing field.
Overview of the Role
The legal assistant, litigation will be supporting two lawyers essentially and the team, as necessary.
In this role, the assistant will prepare letters and proceedings and carry out administrative tasks, as well as organize and update client and lawyer files, including managing lawyers’ calendars and their client contact lists.
Work schedule: preference 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (occasional overtime).
- Managing lawyers' calendars by scheduling appointments, court appearances and litigation deadlines;
- Following-up with lawyers to ensure deadlines are met;
- Preparing standard litigation proceedings, first drafts of various pleadings, orders and other court documents;
- Compiling motion records, briefs and all;
- Transcribing letters and/or dictated proceedings, as needed;
- Typing and editing correspondence and documents;
- Reviewing documents and correspondence to ensure compliance with legal procedures and correct grammatical usage;
- Opening/closing files, filing (both paper and electronic), tracking and organizing case files;
- Preparing client files (correspondence, supporting documents, etc.);
- Managing phone calls, email and other correspondence;
- Organizing and coordinating meetings between lawyers and clients;
- Assisting in the scheduling of examinations for discovery;
- Handling certain invoicing procedures;
- Organizing business travel for lawyers, arranging meetings, etc.;
- Providing support to other people in the office as needed
- Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate from a Community College or the equivalent;
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience as a Legal Assistant in the field of commercial or insurance litigation, commercial arbitration, litigation;
- Experience with insurance defence would be an asset;
- Impeccable English grammar with excellent verbal/written communication and proofreading skills;
- Knowledge of the Ontario Rules of Civil Procedure;
- Intermediate or advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook & Office Suite, as well as of other systems used in a law firm;
- Handling and prioritizing workload while working under pressure of tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Attention to detail and proactive case management;
- Excellent multi-tasking and problem-solving abilities;
- Behaving in a professional manner with lawyers, clients and other team members at all levels;
- Team-spirit, strong sense of collaboration and positive, “can-do” attitude.
This is the job description as constituted at present however the Firm reserves the right to reasonably amend it in accordance with the changing needs of the business.
If you are interested in this position, please send us a cover letter, accompanied by your cv at: email@example.com.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.