At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing not only exceptional client experiences, but also an exceptional experience for all employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of fostering an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
The Manager, Communications, PR and Market Recognition will manage, develop and oversee the long-form/thought leadership content developed for marketing purposes, as well as rankings, directories and industry awards processes and communications to assist with maintaining and progressing the Firm’s reputation. This position will report to the Director, Communications & Marketing.
The Manager will also work closely with the Director, National Public Relations in our Montréal office on our public relations efforts and management of media relations.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
Rankings and Directories
- Working with members of the Business Development team to understand various practice groups’ expectations and plans, and providing content that is consistent and enhances those plans
- Analyzing rankings to determine the effectiveness towards achieving the practice group plans outlined above
- Developing and maintaining a schedule and communication plan to facilitate the internal processes, and keeping all relevant team members well informed of upcoming submissions to help ensure deadlines are met
- Developing a communication plan to promote our rankings and awards (internal and external)
- Developing and maintaining a network of connections with various directories and publications to ensure consistent messaging and communication
- Maintaining the budget relating to directories and publications, and negotiating value-adds and making recommendations to senior management
- Overseeing and assisting team members with facilitating day-to-day activities, including assessing new ranking publications, maintaining master lists, drafting communications to the lawyers regarding their profiles and rankings in legal directories, conducting survey solicitations[YE1] , tracking submissions, creating social media posts, etc.
- Researching and identifying new opportunities for management to consider
- Collaboratively working with lawyers, departments and the Business Development team to obtain the necessary information for nominations and submissions and ensuring deadlines are met
- Coordinating attendance at award dinners and galas
- Maintaining the budget relating to award dinners and galas, and ensuring costs are value-adds
- Proactively looking at opportunities to highlight deals worked on at the Firm
- Ensuring the Awards and Recognition database is current and accurate
- Partnering with members of the Firm and business development teams to develop editorial themes for the Firm’s thought leadership across quarterly trends reports, bulletins, points of views, etc., to appear in different forms and channels
- Assisting with editing articles, bulletins, conducting interviews, drafting Q&As, video scripts and white papers
- Sharing the volume of media requests with the PR Director with the established protocols
- Working with the PR Director on the media-training program for partners and associates, and providing guidance to lawyers who are asked to do media interviews
- Maintaining good rapport with the legal and business publication editors and reporters
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in relevant fields, such as communications, public relations and marketing
- ·Minimum of eight years of working experience in communications and/or marketing roles
- A minimum of three years in public relations and proven experience to build relations with the media and increase success rate with pitch stories
- Managerial experience would be an asset
- Strong verbal and written proficiencies and the ability to work collaboratively both within the department and across departments
- Ability to prioritize and manage many tasks simultaneously
- Strong research and analytical skills required to provide insight into growth opportunities for the Firm’s exposure as it relates to recognitions and awards
- Can effectively summarize data into more user-friendly analyses
- Ability to make decisions, provide solutions and adapt in different working situations
- Uses a logical method for organizing and analyzing information
- Bilingual in English and French would be an asset.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter, résumé and academic transcripts directly to our online application portal by clicking “submit application”.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment composed of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.