Corporate Law Clerk
Fasken is a leading international business law and litigation firm. Our firm’s 700 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Surrey, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London, Johannesburg and Beijing. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals.
We are a high-achieving, professional, entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and friendly place to work. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and offer a welcoming environment for all people. While we are here to service our clients and are a deadline-driven industry, we look to be innovative, and there are opportunities to participate in initiatives which make a difference in our firm and community.
Achieve excellence doing work that’s challenging and rewarding, with people you’ll like working with, in an environment that’s welcoming, supportive, entrepreneurial and innovative, where you’re a valued contributor, not just an employee. For additional information about the firm or this position, please visit our website at www.fasken.com.
CORPORATE LAW CLERK
We are seeking an experienced candidate to fill the position of Corporate Law Clerk in our Toronto office to assist with transactions and other matters under the supervision of the firm’s lawyers.
Hours of work are from 9 am to 5 pm. The successful candidate may be required to work outside of normal business hours in order to meet business and client needs.
At Fasken, success means:
- Confidence and a high degree of comfort in dealing with professionals (partners and associates)
- A demonstrated ability to project manage, and efficiently handle competing and/or shifting priorities
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) when dealing with lawyers, clients, staff and third parties
- An acute focus on detail and accuracy as well as a highly developed customer service bias
- An understanding that this is a critical service function and can require a longer day in order to get the job done
- Strong drafting skills
- Enjoying working in a fast-paced environment and capable of working under pressure in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and be proactive
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
- Comfortable with using and learning technology
- Drafting corporate documents including: agreements, resolutions, complex share provisions, documents for various types of transactions including corporate and tax reorganizations, documents relating to incorporation and organization, amalgamations, complex amendments, continuances and dissolutions
- Assisting lawyers on complex transactions
- Attending meetings with clients and lawyers to review documents and provide technical assistance
- Conducting due diligence and minute book reviews and preparing reports outlining issues and deficiencies
- Setting up and running electronic data rooms
- Drafting closing agendas
- Assisting with closings
- Assisting with collection and drafting of checklists and precedents
- Mentoring junior law clerks.
Required Knowledge and Experience
College diploma in Law Clerk studies
A minimum of 7 years of experience functioning as a Law Clerk and performing the duties noted above
Experience with corporate databases and data room/document sharing technology
Strong understanding of corporate legislation
Member in good standing with the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario would be an asset.
This role reports to the Director, Paraprofessionals, Ontario.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference check will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.