Patent Practice Group Assistant (2) - Toronto
Bereskin & Parr is one of Canada's largest and most respected intellectual property law firms. With more than 260 people, including more than 65 lawyers, patent and trade mark agents, Bereskin & Parr and its award-winning professionals are consistently rated in Canada as the benchmark for intellectual property law.
There is an immediate opportunity available as a PATENT PRACTICE GROUP ASSISTANT to work out of our Toronto office. This position is part of the Support Services Department, which provides assistance with overflow work assigned by professionals, assistants, and clerks, within the Mechanical/High-Technology practice group.
- Attending to online filing and prosecution of U.S. patent applications, and Canadian filings and prosecution, as required;
- Preparing, with minimal supervision, certain formal documents for filing a patent application for review by the professional;
- Transcribing documents including letters, memos, and correspondence from dictation;
- Drafting and preparing routine correspondence for professional approval/signature using precedents;
- Ordering, downloading, searching and/or printing published patents, and/or Non-Patent Literature;
- Preparing and filing U.S. Information Disclosure Statements, which are reviewed by the professional prior to submission;
- Handling the opening and closing of client files;
- Proofreading and revising documents to correct spelling/typographical errors, grammatical errors and formatting issues;
- Faxing, photocopying, and scanning documents and correspondence;
- Floating to cover legal assistant vacations and/or extended absences; and
- Other administrative duties as assigned by professionals, assistants and/or clerks.
- Legal Assistant Diploma/ Certificate or equivalent experience is required.
- One to two years of experience working in the patent area is required.
- Knowledge of legal terminology, procedures and statutes.
- Knowledge of patent procedures and rules required.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to deal with clients, and all levels of staff.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Computer literate with strong working knowledge of legal software and standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to email their resumes to:
email@example.com. Please include "Patent Practice Group Assistant" in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
Bereskin & Parr is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Should candidates wish to receive the above job posting in an alternative format, please contact Stephanie Crann, Manager, Human Resources by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone 416-957-1162.