Civil Litigation Assistant (Contract)
Torkin Manes is a vibrant, growing, medium-sized full service law firm located in downtown Toronto. Our 95 lawyers practice in all areas of business law and litigation. We are seeking a Civil Litigation Assistant to join the Torkin Manes’ team for a one year contract.
Position Title: Civil Litigation Assistant
Position Type: Contract, Full-Time
Hours of Work: To be determined
The Civil Litigation Assistant is responsible for preparing, coordinating, revising, transcribing and organizing legal and administrative documents. Keeping with practice management needs, performs other general office duties as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working with a Civil Litigation Partner, the Legal Assistant is responsible for the following:
- Drafting routine correspondence on behalf of lawyer.
- Preparing accounts.
- Transcription of dictations including statements of claim, statements of defence, factum, etc.
- Applying proofreading and editing skills to documents and correspondence.
- Obtaining information and instructions from clients and forwarding to lawyer.
- Assisting in the organization and management of lawyer’s practice, i.e., opening files, arranging meetings, scheduling hearing dates and arranging travel and/or accommodations.
- Managing bring forward system and keeping lawyer apprised of matters in office.
- Assembly of affidavits, motion records, factums and books of authorities.
- Coordinating with process servers regarding service and filing of court materials.
- Coordinating with court offices regarding trial and motions bookings and related court material filings.
- Drafting cover/service letters and coordinating delivery of documents.
- Coordinating and monitoring administrative functions to ensure completion of work accurately and within established time frames.
- Other duties as assigned.
- College Diploma in Legal Administration.
- A minimum of 3 years previous experience as a litigation assistant.
- Established skills and experience in an executive assistant role preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office 2010.
- Knowledge of Automated Civil Litigation (ACL).
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Internet applications and digital dictation software.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, be flexible and adapt to changing situations easily.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
- Exceptional communication skills.
Success in this role means:
- Has a strong client service approach.
- Resourceful. Strong research, investigative and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to meet tight internal and external deadlines while managing multiple projects and competing with demands for resources.
- Detail oriented.
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a collaborative, team based environment.
- Demonstrated ability to share knowledge with others in a clear and concise manner.
- A team player, able to work with others in a deadline driven environment.
- Exercises discretion and ability to keep matters confidential at all times.
To apply, please submit your resume to:
Simone MacIsaac, Human Resources Manager
We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all those who apply. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Torkin Manes LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Torkin Manes LLP is proud to provide employment accommodation during the recruitment, selection and/or assessment processes. Should you require an accommodation, please inform us as soon as possible by reaching out to Simone MacIsaac, HR Manager, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 416-777-5450, and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Posting Date: February 8, 2019
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.