Director of Finance & Operations
Dentons Canada is seeking an experienced financial professional to join our Finance Team as the Director of Finance & Operations for the Toronto Office. Reporting directly to the CFO, the incumbent will work closely with senior management at the Toronto office level (Office Managing Partner and Local Practice Group leaders), creating a real and active partnership. The incumbent will provide 'real time' support and financial analysis and be relied upon as a trusted advisor, adding value that will assist in decision-making. Critical to their success is an ability to communicate their message, to understand their audience and deliver the information in a clear and concise manner. It is this mix of analytical, financial, business and communication skills which are at the heart of successful finance business partnering. This individual is the key liaison between the business and the Finance team.
- Serve as a business partner and advisor to the Toronto management team (OMP and LPGL’s): provide analysis and deliver insight that links financial reports to business strategies.
- Review and analyse monthly and quarterly financial and management results vs budget and provide business insights on business drivers, trends, issues, KPIs.
- Work closely with the Financial, Planning & Analysis team to analyze KPI's and develop financial reporting that meets the needs of the business.
- Support local business planning and budgeting process: work closely with local business leaders to develop revenue, expense and FTE budgets and forecasts (including understanding all inputs and assumptions)
- Identify and deliver on profitability, cost savings and operational improvement initiatives
- Support the management and improvement of the time entry, billings and collection cycle (Lock up)
- Liaise with the national finance team and specialist functions and support local accounting team as needed
- Supports OMP on management and strategic planning of the office: strategic planning, practice management, space planning, attending partner meetings, partner compensation, guidance on staffing matters, special projects etc.
- Responsible for collaborating with National Finance and the Finance Leaders in other offices to harmonize the associated finance processes between offices, focusing on best practices and systems
- Responsible local office operations functions:
- Responsible for office services functions and teams supporting these (mail, courier, copy, offsite storage, hospitality, health & safety, ergonomics)
- Responsible for facilities management: operations and teams supporting these (i.e. premises maintenance, repairs, furniture, office setups and moves, space planning etc. )
- 7+ years management accounting experience in a professional services environment.
- Professional accounting designation with previous experience working in a legal or professional services environment.
- Business related university degree
- Demonstrated experience in establishing financial and administrative policies, process, and guidelines, and will have thorough knowledge of financial and administrative operations and management.
- Strong technical and communication skills are required and the ability to adapt and work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Technical skills: Strong financial analysis including the ability to interpret what is behind the numbers and what the impact is for the business
- Ability to influence, stakeholder management and presentation skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to present concepts at all levels in an organization, particularly at the senior management level.
- Project management skills.
- Strong technical proficiency in all aspects of MS Windows – Excel, PowerPoint, Word,
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Strong ability to anticipate management information requirements.
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement in a timely and effective manner.
- Able to work independently in a proactive manner.
- Excellent organizational abilities
Qualified applicants should submit their cover letter and resume by email to:
Dentons Canada LLP
77 King Street West, Suite 400
Toronto, ON M5K 0A1
We thank all applicants who apply, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All resumes will be destroyed after three months.
We believe that diversity and inclusion is essential to the success and strength of our firm. We believe that a proactive approach where we support and embrace our individual talents and differences enriches our firm, our professional practice and our communities. It offers us a broader perspective to foster more creative ideas and greater effectiveness, which enhances our ability to provide our clients with the best possible advice and service. Dentons Canada is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any accommodation requirements, we will work with you to make appropriate arrangements.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.