CMPA Litigation Legal Assistant
Lenczner Slaght is widely recognized as Canada’s leading litigation firm. Focusing exclusively on litigation and advocacy our lawyers represent a diverse range of clients from commercial disputes and class actions to cross-border matters and professional regulation. We are currently seeking a Litigation Legal Assistant - CMPA to join our team.
As a Litigation Legal Assistant – CMPA, you will report directly to the Partner in charge of the firm’s practice. Your core responsibilities are to provide continuous support to a senior Partner and Director of Client Operations.
You are confident dealing with people at all levels and you will use your strong technical, communication and interpersonal skills to address and resolve issues. You thrive in the fast-pace of a busy law firm, keep up-to-date with changes in the industry, and take pride in delivering excellent customer service on tight deadlines.
- Managing daily operation of a litigation practice, including managing and coordinating schedules, meetings, calls and travel
- Maintaining lawyer’s calendars and bring-forward systems
- Preparing photocopies, faxes and scans of documents and correspondence
- Transcribing and revising legal correspondence, pleadings and memoranda
- Typing, processing and assembling court documents for Divisional Court, Federal Court, Superior Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada
- Electronic filing and reporting
- Preparing documents for Court filings and service of same
- Organizing materials for trial
- Preparing expense reports, docket entries, accounts and other administrative duties
- Working as a team by providing backup coverage in the absence of other assistants
- Ensuring quality control and management of deadlines
Education and Experience:
- Litigation Assistant experience required
- Post-secondary education in a Legal Assistant/Admin program or equivalent required
- Law Clerk Certificate / Diploma (or equivalent) is not required but will be considered an asset
Key Competencies Required:
- Exceptional knowledge of spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and grammar
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Skill in the use of reference materials and software programs such as Microsoft Office, Automated Civil Litigation, Lighthouse Accounting, Phillips Speech Exec, Worksite/Filesite Document Management System, Carpe Diem, Electronic File Management (EFM) and AskCody
- Advanced proficient in using Microsoft Office is required; particularly MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- In-depth knowledge of legal practices, legal and medical terminology, and Rules of Civil Procedure
- Ability to carry out a variety of responsibilities including document production, document revisions and file maintenance
- Ability to work independently and with excellent judgment to both follow instructions with minimal supervision and take initiative as required
- Must have a strong attention to detail and the ability to problem solve
- Ability to work with all members of the firm while balancing priorities and giving priority to a particular job and its urgency
- Maintains professionalism, confidentiality and discretion
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their cover letter and résumé HERE.
Lenczner Slaght invites applications from all qualified candidates. We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and hiring process.
Please direct all requests to:
Director, Human Resources
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.