Senior Financial Analyst, Pricing
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms with over 400 lawyers based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York. Osler advises many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to further your career or carve out a new path.
Description: Working collaboratively with Manager, Pricing, the Senior Financial Analyst, Pricing plays a key role in supporting and optimizing the firm’s pricing models and strategies. The position is responsible for providing financial and profitability analysis on business proposals, and supporting the pricing team in developing, analyzing and executing creative, workable pricing solutions in response to client pricing demands.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead the pricing and advance analytical support related to simple to medium complexity Request For Proposals (and play a support role in the complex ones), working with Client Development team, lawyers, and Practice Management team to formulate responses.
- Support the pricing development and approval process by providing financial analysis and pricing scenario modeling for Partners and the Billing Management Committee (BMC), assisting them to make key business decisions related to Alternative Fee Arrangements (AFAs) and price quotes.
- Support the enhancement of tools and processes in support of creative pricing strategies, including systems to capture billing arrangements, pricing performance, experience, and lessons learned to fully inform current and future engagements.
- Support the development of processes and tools to evaluate profitability of various types of engagements.
- Support various projects in relation to client profitability and pricing initiatives which may include development of pre-priced packaged legal solutions, advising firm management in assessing long-term sustainability of various legal business models, data analytics etc.
- Provide pricing-related training, coaching, and advice to Firm Management, our Partners and Associates.
- Provide training and coaching to pricing analysts and coordinators.
Education and Experience
The position requires a university degree in a business discipline and a minimum of five years of progressive experience in finance-related disciplines, including analytics in a law firm or other professional service industry. An accounting designation (CA/CGA/CMA) is a requirement. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong analytical skills to look beyond financial data / report and prepare concise and actionable insight to aid business decision making and risk assessment.
- Excellent communication skills with a calm, but confident presence for direct engagement that builds trust with senior members of the Firm, including Partners.
- Working knowledge of pricing, alternative fee arrangements, negotiation tactics and costing of services in the legal or professional services context.
- Experience in supporting, coaching and influencing senior management and client-facing professionals on business strategy issues.
- Able to work autonomously and manage multiple engagements with aggressive deadlines. Excellent time management and organisational skills in order to efficiently multi-task and prioritize are critical.
- Self-starter and a proactive approach with a mindset of continuous innovation and improvement.
- Experience in project management is an asset.
Solid knowledge of financial analytical and reporting tools such as Excel (advanced), SQL, MS Access, ADERANT, and Microsoft SQL Analysis Services (SSAS) cubes.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.