Trademark Practice Group Assistant
Bereskin & Parr is one of Canada's largest and most respected intellectual property (“IP”) law firms. We have over 260 employees, including more than 70 lawyers, patent and trademark agents, with four offices located in major economic or technology centres. We are an award-winning firm with a global reputation as one of the largest, and most experienced in patent and trademark law. We provide exceptional client service and are driven by our commitment to professional excellence. At B&P we are proud of our collaborative and inclusive work environment.
There is an immediate opportunity for a Trademark Practice Group Assistant to work out of our Toronto location. This position is part of the firm’s Trademark Practice Group Support team. The team provides assistance with overflow work and special projects for the Trademark group across all offices.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Provide overflow assistance to the Trademark group across all offices.
• Provide support to professionals when their assistants are away for an extended time.
• Opening and closing client files, including conflict searching.
• Preparing trademark applications, amendments to applications, and filing the same electronically.
• Drafting reporting letters pertaining to technical Examiner’s reports for review by the professional.
• Assisting with post-examination clerk work including the proofreading of Approval Notices and advertisements for accuracy, processing Notices of Allowance, proofreading of Registration Certificates for accuracy and drafting reporting letters for these documents.
• Preparing and filing assignment documents, filing change of name documents, reviewing trademark ownership and checking for associated marks.
• Conducting knockout trademark searches and ordering trademark registrability searches as appropriate.
• Drafting and preparing routine and detailed client correspondence for review by the professional, using precedents.
• Preparing papers and presentations from professional’s notes/dictation.
• Proofreading and revising documents to correct spelling/typographical errors, grammatical errors and formatting issues.
• Updating internal database with changes in client contact and address information.
• Special projects as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
What you’ll bring to B&P:
• Client service and team oriented attitude.
• Legal Assistant Diploma/ Certificate or equivalent experience required.
• One to two years of experience working in the trademark area is required.
• Knowledge of trademark procedures and rules required.
• Strong communication skills (both verbal and written).
• Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Computer literate with strong working knowledge Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
• Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to email their resumes and transcripts to: email@example.com
by March 23, 2018. Please include "Trademark Practice Group Assistant" in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bereskin & Parr LLP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities. Should candidates wish to receive the above job posting in an alternative format, please contact Liam Bragg, Human Resources Generalist by email (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or by phone 416-957-7311 ext 1622.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE