Application Support Technician
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our 470 lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
We are currently recruiting for a strong client service oriented Application Support Technician in our Support Services department. This position provides service desk support to computer users by identifying problems and providing solutions related to computer hardware, mobile devices, application software and desktop technology. The successful candidate will work on a five week rotating schedule, with hours ranging from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, and will work on an on-call basis after hours, on a weekly rotating schedule.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Receives requests for service via telephone and e-mail from end users in the Firm’s Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, Montréal, New York and Ottawa offices.
- Provides 1st level computer support to end users by troubleshooting application software, mobile devices, PC hardware and printer issues.
- Analyzes, defines and researches the end user’s problem, identifies root cause, and implements/recommends solutions to appropriately resolve the issue to the end user’s satisfaction.
- Provides appropriate escalation of support requests for expedient resolution.
- Follows the Firm’s established service standards to ensure consistent quality service is provided to internal customers.
- Logs information concerning service desk calls into a database system to track history of calls and successful solutions for future reference purposes.
- Identifies recurring problems/trends; notifies and works with team to reach root cause solutions.
- Provides 1st level guidance and problem-specific training to Firm users on the use of computer hardware, application software and desktop technology.
- Performs upgrades on equipment, software application installations and maintenance as well as hardware configuration.
- Provides remote computer support as well as installations for Firm users as requested.
- Maintains and completed inventory on the Firm’s loaner and device pool.
- Recommends changes to processes and procedures to improve End User Support Services.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information related to the Firm, its clients and its employees.
- Performs other assignments as required (i.e. tasks related to system implementation).
Education and Experience
A college diploma in a computer-related discipline with a Microsoft Certified Professional designation (or a similar designation) plus one year experience within a technical customer service or service desk support role is required. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted.
Knowledge and Skills
- In-depth knowledge of operating systems (Windows 8.1/10), MS Office application and basic knowledge of networking technology. Knowledge of legal software applications is an asset.
- Knowledge of a call-tracking database system.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent verbal communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Written communication skills and the ability to document troubleshooting reference materials.
- Comfortable working within a team-based environment.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date to:
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
P.O. Box 50, 1 First Canadian Place
Toronto, ON M5X 1B8
Closing date: February 26, 2018
No agencies or phone calls please.