Junior Securities Law Clerk
Fasken Martineau is a leading international business law and litigation firm. Our firm’s 700 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London and Johannesburg. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals.
We are a high-achieving, professional, entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and friendly place to work. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and offer a welcoming environment for all people. While we are here to service our clients and are a deadline-driven industry, we look to be innovative, and there are opportunities to participate in initiatives which make a difference in our firm and community as well as to attend firm social events.
Achieve excellence doing work that’s challenging and rewarding, with people you’ll like working with, in an environment that’s welcoming, supportive, entrepreneurial and innovative, where you’re a valued contributor, not just an employee. For additional information about the firm or this position, please visit our website at www.fasken.com.
JUNIOR SECURITIES LAW CLERK
We are currently seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of Junior Securities Law Clerk in our Toronto office.
If you are passionate about working in a law firm environment, have a keen interest in the area of securities law, take ownership in your professional role as a law clerk in a top tier firm and enjoy working with high energy people, then this role is for you.
At Fasken Martineau, success means:
- Solid legal drafting skills
- Strong understanding of securities legislation
- Effective problem solving skills with the ability to exercise judgement to resolve related issues
- The ability to take ownership of tasks, take initiative, establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives
- A strong client service approach - ready, willing, and able
- Extreme accuracy with high attention to detail
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written) when dealing with lawyers, clients, staff and third parties
- Strong organization skills with the ability to prioritize a heavy workload and being meticulous with follow-up
- The ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team based environment
- Time management skills with the ability to work under pressure in order to meet deadlines
- Being comfortable learning and using technologies
- An ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Prepare and file documents on the System for Electronic Document Analysis and Retrieval (“SEDAR”) at the request of the other securities law clerk(s), clients and the members of the Firm, including timely and periodic continuous disclosure, public offering filings, setting up and updating SEDAR profiles, calculating filing fees, take-over bid filings, and monitoring receipts on SEDAR
- Prepare insider and issuer reports on the System for Electronic Disclosure by Insiders (“SEDI”) and to conduct searches on SEDI at the request of other securities law clerks, clients and members of the Firm
- Conduct searches of public company information, including public securities documents, decisions and orders, and applications for exemptive relief through SEDAR, Quicklaw, DisclosureNet and other means
- Prepare continuous disclosure and other prescribed securities-related documents at the request of members of the Firm
- Obtain CUSIP numbers and process CUSIP eligibility applications
- Prepare closing books
- Disseminate press releases
- Prepare and file documents with the Toronto Stock Exchange (“TSX”) via the TSX Secure File system, and with the TSX Venture Exchange, Canadian Stock Exchange and Aequitas NEO Exchange
- Assist with preparing filings via the National Registration Database (“NRD”) which include applications for registration and notices for maintaining NRD records
- Assist in the preparation and filing of forms related to Ontario’s capital markets participation fees
- Assist in the preparation and filing of applicable forms for firms wishing to rely on registration exemptions and the tracking of such firms
- Assist with maintenance of clients’ registration records by preparing and filing forms with the applicable securities regulators
- Prepare and filed reports of exempt distribution in respect of private placements
- Assist the other securities law clerks generally with all matters relating to the firm’s securities practice, as well as with client development initiatives.
- College diploma in law clerk studies
- Minimum of 2 years of direct, relevant and practical work experience as a law clerk or legal assistant in legal or regulatory environment
- Some exposure to working within Securities Law
- Working knowledge of NRD, SEDAR, SEDI, Quicklaw and DisclosureNet is an asset.
This role reports to the Director, Business Law Clerks.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference check will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.